RSS

Merry Christmas . Please enjoy your visit and spread the Christmas spirit.

It's just a nickel ~ September 22

     Last night as I left the office I looked down and there was a bright and shiny nickel. The little child in my head said "woohoo...I found 5 cents and it's mine!"  Of course after bending down to pick it up I realized the adult in me wondered if it was really worth the effort.  I'm sure whoever dropped it must have thought the same thing, it's only a nickel, not worth the time to stop and pick it up.  And so, I started to think about it.... When I was a kid there really was such thing as "penny candy" so that nickel would have bought me at least 5 little pieces of joy.  I say at least, because I do recall some candy was 2 for a penny.   Of course I could have spent the whole nickel on one piece of candy, but it was so much more fun to have a few pieces to share...yes, I did share - sometimes.  That feeling of nostalgia comes very close to the Christmas spirit I'm trying to share in this blog.  The memories of childhood, innocence, and simple pleasures always make me smile, and so did that nickel.
     Then I started to think about what that nickel means today...what could I get with that nickel?  Not too much I'm afraid...so, as I do with most questions...off to the internet to see if there was anything I could buy with my nickel.  The thing that came up most was the fact that if I used my own bag at the grocery store I could save 5 cents, so in essence every time I don't do that I'm buying a plastic bag for a nickel.
     All of this is not in vain though.  What that nickel did was get me thinking and gave me some great ideas for future blogs.  So, it was well worth the effort to bend down to pick up 5 cents.  For today I'm just going to share some vintage images I found when I was searching to see if there was still any penny candy around.  I hope they help to bring back some good memories for you, even if you're not old enough to remember these...  (I'm not old enough to remember all of them either, but they're still fun)


0 comments:

Post a Comment